Monday, April 7, 2014

Dark Bar-sided Skink - Sydney, Australia

A photograph of a Dark bar-sided Skink taken in Sydney, Australia
Dark bar-sided Skink - Sydney, Australia

Firstly, sorry for the prolonged absence. A new family member has meant that photography has taken a back seat to other more important activities. However, I was able to duck out for about an hour or so this morning and here are the results. I opted to head out with the macro lens and see what  I came across.

More info after the jump.

A photograph of a Dark bar-sided Skink taken in Sydney, Australia
Dark bar-sided Skink - Sydney, Australia

I came across a tree where large sections of bark had separated from the trunk and created a number of "hiding places" for insects. Closer inspection revealed the skink which appears in these photographs. It was a wet day in Sydney and these cold blooded lizards had opted to stay in hiding. After about 40 minutes this skink stuck his head out from under the bark and let me take a few photographs of it.

A photograph of a Dark bar-sided Skink taken in Sydney, Australia
Dark bar-sided Skink - Sydney, Australia

As usual I was hand holding both the camera and the flash. Although this gave me the ability to direct the flash exactly where I wanted, it was a lot tougher overall to move both the camera and the flash simultaneously. It was also hard work to ensure that the distance between the subject and the flash remained constant in order to allow the correct amount of light to hit the subject. All in all it was a good outing and I'm not relatively happy with the photographs that I came away with. 



Share on Facebook
Post a Comment