Monday, March 18, 2013

Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

A photograph of the view of Rio de Janeiro taken from the top of sugar loaf in Brazil
View from Sugar Loaf - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I had done a lot of research on our trip before I left and had a number of shots on my list for Rio. One of which was the iconic view of the city taken from the top of Sugar Loaf. We landed in Rio in the middle of a clear night and we had glimpses of Christ the Redeemer during the drive to our hotel, in Santa Teresa.

More photographs inside.
A photograph of the view of Rio de Janeiro taken from the top of sugar loaf in Brazil
View from Sugar Loaf - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

We climbed up to the top of Sugar Loaf on our first evening in Rio but unfortunately the elements were against us. There was a fairly thick smog in the air and it hung around well after sunset. Unfortunately I was unable to shoot the view of Rio froom Sugar Loaf in good light. However, I was really happy with the first photograph on this post and I wouldn't have been able to shoot this without the smog.

A photograph of Ipanema beach in Rio de Janeiro in Brazil
Ipanema Beach - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Ipanema was the first beach that we visited. To be honest, I was a bit disappointed with it. To me it didn't seem very pleasant. Maybe it was because of the road that runs just outside the right hand frame of the photograph above, or maybe it was because of the dilapidated buildings or the fact that there weren't any trees.  We were spoiled growing up in Sri Lanka where a palm fringed beach was considered to be crowded if there were more than twenty people on it!

A photograph of Ipanema beach in Rio de Janeiro in Brazil
Ipanema Beach - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Due to the time of year when we visited Brazil, the beaches were not very crowded. However, there were groups of people training to play beach Volleyball around the clock.  I wasn't sure whether I should take the camera to the beach because of privacy issues and the fact that the beaches are notorious hang outs for pick pockets. Ultimately I compromised and stuffed the camera in a back-pack and took it with me. I was actually surprised to find that the beach was quite empty in the middle of the day.

A photograph of Ipanema beach in Rio de Janeiro in Brazil
Ipanema Beach - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Things picked up a bit in the evening with more people venturing down to the beach for a jog or a walk and a game of soccer.
Share on Facebook
Post a Comment