Thursday, January 10, 2013

Toco Toucan - Pantanal, Brazil

A photograph of a Toco Toucan taken in the Pantanal in Brazil
Toco Toucan (Ramphastos toco) - Pantanal, Brazil

The Toco Toucan, or the Common Toucan, is one of the iconic species of South America and photographing it in the Pantanal was one of my highlights of the trip. I first heard it calling soon after we got to the lodge and it didn't take me too long to find the bird. It was perched on a branch towards a the top of a tree. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get any clear shots of it.

More photographs inside.
A photograph of a Toco Toucan taken in the Pantanal in Brazil
 Toco Toucan (Ramphastos toco) - Pantanal, Brazil

I would have been happy if I got a clear shot of the Toucan but didn't think I'd be able to get flight shots of it because of the thick vegetation. I positioned my self in a clear area and waited for the bird to move to another perch. I didn't have to wait long and luck was on my side. The Toucan decided to fly across the clearing to another tree and I was fortunate to shoot the photograph above. It then perched on a exposed branch and let me photogrpah it for about twenty minutes before it flew off.

A photograph of a Toco Toucan taken in the Pantanal in Brazil
Toco Toucan (Ramphastos toco) - Pantanal, Brazil

We also saw Toucans along the Rio Negro. The species is not know to penetrate into the Amazon but may be seen in open areas like river corridors. The Toucan can also be found in Bolivia, Peru, Paraguay and Argentina. Since this species prefers open habitats, it is one of the few animals to benefit from deforestation. The bird is fairly common and has not been identified as an endangered or threatened species.

A photograph of a Toco Toucan taken in the Pantanal in Brazil
Toco Toucan (Ramphastos toco) - Pantanal, Brazil

All these photographs were taken with the Canon 7D and the 100-400mm lens. The light wasn't great as it was overcast and drizzling and I had to really push up the ISO to be able to shoot at a decent shutter speed. All photographs were taken hand held.






Share on Facebook
Post a Comment