Saturday, April 9, 2011

The Roman Forum - Rome, Italy

The Temple of Saturn and the Forum - Rome, Italy
The Temple of Saturn and the Forum - Rome, Italy

While in Rome, we joined a walking tour of the Roman Forum, the Palatine Hill and the Colosseum with the hope of getting to know a bit more about the history of the area. We joined a tour which was recommended by the people running the B&B we stayed at. We got off to a bad start as the guide got half an hour late and unfortunately things didn't get any better. The whole tour felt as though the guide was just regurgitating a script which she had memorised.

More photographs after the jump.

The Forum with the Colosseum in the Background - Rome, Italy
The Forum with the Colosseum in the Background - Rome, Italy

Since the tour was a massive disappointment, we bought a book which documented the forum and, using it as a guide, walked around the Forum again the next day. It was a bit like walking around in Anuradhapura but with a hell of a lot more people!

The Temple of Antoninus & Faustina - Rome, Italy
The Temple of Antoninus & Faustina - Rome, Italy

Walking around the forum on our own gave me the opportunity to take a bit more time to do a bit of photography. We were there close to midday so the light wasn't the best. I had a circular polariser on the camera which let me capture deeper shades of blues and greens. Although I lost 2 stops using the polariser, I didn't need to use the tripod. The hardest part of photographing the Forum, in my opinion, was getting photographs without people being included in the frames.

A Marble Carving in the Forum - Rome, Italy
A Marble Carving in the Forum - Rome, Italy

I'm planning on heading back to Sri Lanka for a holiday in July. I'm hoping to do a fair bit of wildlife photography while I'm there. I am also planning on heading back to Anuradhapura and probably traveling in the hills as  well. I'm sure the photographs will find their way onto the blog eventually!
Share on Facebook
Post a Comment